Procedural Writing

My kiddos closed out a fun week of procedural writing today.  We made crayons!!!  I was over-the-moon when I opened my Christmas gift from the Mr.  A crayon maker for the holidays hit the spot. Whose the kid?!?  I'm sure he enjoyed the fact that I asked him to stay away from diamonds.  I know, I know... not so female of me!  


The hubs found this little guy is at Target for under $25.  The crayons are tiny but so worth the excitement of making the blended colors.  My students made two crayons each.  It's easy enough for all my kinder students to use. 

Here are a few samples of writing.  I'm providing responses from low, medium, and high level learners.  As you can see, my brood took great pride in their work.  Crayons weren't the only thing melting.  My heart too....

I'm not sure if a translation is needed but just in case... First you plug the machine in.  Next you peel the paper off.  Then you break the crayons.  Last you put the crayon in the tray.  (EEEK!! She has come so far!!!)
I'm bummed the pictures cut off his cute illustrations!  He did such a great job!!!  His story reads...First you turn the machine on.  Next you peel the crayons.  Then you break the crayons. Last you melt the crayons. 
It's so funny what kids will pick up when you model writing.  In our shared piece on making a salad, I circled First, Next, Then, and Last.  Don't you think it's cute when they do the same?  Although his writing is easy to follow, he doesn't press hard with the pencil.  This one reads... First you plug the crayon machine in and turn it on.  Next you peel the crayons and break the crayons.  Then you put the crayons in the crayon machine and wait.  Last you draw with it. 

Up next, we are using Susan Moran's cute lil unit!  The kids are eager to make, taste, write, and craft how to make cocoa.  Honestly, me too!  Again, whose the kid!?!  

Look at how cute these are...

You'll find this activity in her winter packet.  Click the image above to visit T.G.I.F (her fabulous blog).  Click the image below to link to her store and scoop up this unit.


Hope you have a Wild Wednesday of teaching!  I know I will!!!

8 comments:

Brittany Weidlich said...

Making crayons would be so much fun for the students and the teacher. I never thought of that. What a great idea! Thanks so much for sharing that. Seems like it would make them more eager to write about it too. I will have to check out Target for that.

Brittany
BLovely Literacy & More

Unknown said...

Too cute! I would have loved that when I was a kid!
(or now!! lol)
Jennifer
First Grade Blue SKies

Oceans of First Grade Fun said...

Love the crayon maker! Check your e-mail..I sent you something good!
Yolanda

Learning with Mrs. Parker said...

We are working on How To Writing as well but with recipes.

I have a Crayon Maker sitting at home waiting to be used. I can't wait to try this out with my Intervention students.

Fern Smith's Classroom Ideas said...

Adorable, I love to read their actual writing!
~Fern
Fern Smith's Classroom Ideas!
Fern Smith's Pinterest Boards!

The Brown-Bag Teacher said...

I really enjoy making crayons! Plus, the kids absolutely LOVE them. Thanks for sharing :)

Catherine
The Brown-Bag Teacher

Karen Stamp said...

How FUN!! Your kiddos' writing is coming along great... don't you just love kindergarten writing at this time of year!?
Karen :o)
Mrs. Stamp's Kindergarten

Julie DiBenedetto said...

I really like your crayon maker! I need to get a parent volunteer on that duty! We are in the process of peeling crayons for our Crayon Hearts! WHAT a nail-destroying job....But totally worth it when the kids get to use them!
Julie
Ms. Marciniak's First Grade Critter Cafe