A Worm, A Wolf, and A Pig's Point of View {Freebies}

In my point of view, teaching RL.1.6 to my firsties has been exciting!  I spent last weekend reading different literature to determine how I wish to begin teaching this standard.  There are so many ways to approach point of view!  

I started my planning last weekend with The Diary of a Worm.  Why not?  Boys love anything gross! The girls are less inclined to love worms but tend to get raise their enthusiasm when the boys level of excitement rises.  Anyone else notice this?  




Day one consisted of worm explorations, songs, and using our schema to chart facts!  A starting point for me was to build their schema using factual information from a picture walk.  I covered each of the worm's diary entries with sticky notes.  After review factual and fictional information, we charted additional facts about worms.  

My kiddos surprised me with the directions of their conversations. Last year we dove into an illustration study with In Pictures and In Words.  Immediately, the kids noticed details and perspectives that set us up for successful lessons and conversations in the upcoming week. The details noted among a few others were expressions and distance perspectives.  Without even knowing, they were seeing the different perspectives that will lead to the worm's varying point of views.


I decided to dive into week one with a point of view of an object and situation.  With vivid illustrations that led students to understanding the point of view, we moved quickly through week one with ease!  Thank goodness! 




There is so much between the first lessons and the artifacts at the end.  The final day of lessons, I shared worm fact cards with my darlings and added additional information to our fact chart created on Monday.  My goal in discussing additional facts was to build upon their schema in hopes that the kids could create a magnificent Diary from a Worm's Point of View.

Additional Images Provided

Additional Pages Provided

If you follow my fan page and TpT store then you are aware of my freebie posted last week.  It's a week long set of lessons and journal pages.  If you missed out, no fear!  You can grab a copy by linking through the image below.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Diary-from-a-Worms-Point-of-View-1120137

This week is our second in the journey to understand point of view.  I decided to use The Three Little Pigs to discuss different points of view in which the story is told.  I will begin by asking the kids to retell details.  My hopes are that they retell the story differently.  Although many details will progress as from the classic tale, I do expect some differences in smaller details.





The first lesson I'll introduce first person point of view with a focus on the pronouns "I" and "We".  Although their are plenty of texts available, I embedded various videos throughout the week to ensure those that might not have all the book options and can implement the lessons as written! 

Blacklines also available

The kids will have time to turn and talk about which character(s) are telling the story from their point of view.  Although we identify with the pigs in the classic tale, I do expect some to notice the pigs and wolf are speaking in terms of "I". 


Day two, I will introduce third person point of view with the pronouns "He" and "She".  I found a perfect version of the classic tale told by a narrator; However, if you have a book in your class library, I encourage you to read the story so that discussions are happening. Close reading is another important component to common core!  Te text for this day is entitled The Three Little Pigs and The Big Bad Wolf.

Blackline also available

In the weeks prior to point of view, my class was diving into RL.1.9 Compare and Contrasting Details.  This story provided a place to review the previously taught standard while progressing through our current standard!


I'm over-the-moon about the progression for the week.  Day three we will tackle fractured fairy tales with The True Story of The Three Little Pigs.

Blacklines also available

If you've ever read The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs then you know the wolf does not agree with the pigs' point of view in the classic tale.  This story involves the need for a sneeze!  


As with week one, we will end with students writing their own fractured tale.  I provided reproducible books to get the kids gears going.  


If you are interested in the second point of view packet, you can link through the graphic below.  If you have a minute, please rate the freebie.  In the comments below, I'd love to hear your favorite stories to teach Point of View!

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/The-Pigs-and-Wolf-Have-Different-Points-of-View-1130478

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful. I am looking forward to teaching point of view, thanks to you. Appreciate your freebies!!!

Kelly Burlinski said...

I am so excited to teach this! Thank you for sharing!
Kelly
MyFabulousClass

Lory said...

Thanks Cheryl... looks fabulous!
Lory

Lory's Page